Thursday, July 12, 2012

Farm Fresh

{It's a beautiful morning.
I'm sitting at the kitchen table
with the slider open,
listening and watching the crows migrate to
 where ever they go,
the wild birds flying around the yard
foraging for food
and the hens chasing them
when they land in the yard.
It's breezy and cool (for now).
I hope the cloud cover stays today.
What do I smell?
 Delicious cakes baking.
My treat for a friend that
 has invited us over for lunch today.}

5 months to the day...

They finally layed!



Big Birdie, first.
ChickiePoo, second.
Annabelle, third.
And my Mabel... {she's a little slow}.

To my non-chicken loving friends...
I'm sorry I am soo excited about "eggs".
It's kind of a big deal when you raise your birds from
wee little chicks that grow into big beautiful birds that actually
pay you back...with eggs and fertilizer.
These girls have been the funnest of all the chickens we have had.
So personable and eager to greet.
Seriously, they're like puppies.
My girls are "free range", well, as free range
as you can get in a suburban lot.
They get locked up at night for safety but are
let loose to seek bugs and shade till nightfall.
They are happy hens.

Wanna see some purdy eggs?




One breed... four different colors.
I can tell who lays what...
Dark with specs=Mabel
Brown=Birdie
Lighter=ChickiePoo
Lightest=Annabelle


In the Gazebo where they are housed, I planted a
Honeysuckle vine that has covered the
wrought iron in delicious foliage and bloom.
I love going in there. It is a sweet smell.
No chicken farm stinkies here! Haha!




There is also a grape vine growing along side Honey.
Unfortunately, the Rats have eaten all but one cluster.
I'm clipping it today and setting out an electric trap.
Grapes aren't good for the girls anyway.

Some pics of some purdy girls...






In case you couldn't tell, Miss. Birdie is always
up front and center. She kinda adopted me.
She's my side kick in the yard with the others in tow.

Some other Cottage garden shots...




Darn rodents!!!




{Baby Hawk is sqwacking in "the tree". I crack up because
Mama just sits there ignoring him/her.
Time to learn how to hunt baby!}

Have a beautiful day.
Hopefully you are keeping cool.

xo, Amber


6 comments:

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Lol, I just don't know what to think about you chicken lovers. I can laugh about it because hubby is one of ya'll. Oh, the things he does for his chicks! He use to have a miniature rooster that rode on the top of his boot. Yes, he would hop up on hubby's foot and go everywhere hubby went! I tell him all of the time that he drives the poor things crazy, just leave them alone and let them live their lives, lol. He counts his eggs every night, too! I do love cooking with the fresh eggs that he gathers. LOVE the photos of your grapes and grapevines! LOVE the farm fresh egg and roo thing you have the eggs displayed on also.

Sheila said...

Congratulations on your eggs!! It sounds like everyone is happy now :)have a fabulous day!

Smiles,
Sheila

Susie said...

Amber, The eggs, grapes and chicken love wonderful. You city farmer !! You have done very well. Smiles, Susie

NanaDiana said...

Oh, Amber. Congratulations! Your little baby chickies grew up to be hens...and they are laying eggs. Isn't that just the best thing ever? I am always amazed at how different the eggs are from each hen. They are works of beauty. I hope you had a wonderful day- xo Diana

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Congratulations! It's like you are the proud grandmama...how exciting that your girls are laying. :)
I get the most beautiful eggs from my bf Karen, and they are wonderful. Happy weekend, sweetie! xo Lidy

Kari from Meadowview Farm said...

Such lovely pictures..and congrats on the first eggs!
Kari