Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Mantle of Memories

My Grampa Groth's favorite song was,

'You are my Sunshine, my only Sunshine.
You make me happy, when skies are gray.
You'll never know Dear, how much I love you,
Please don't take my Sunshine away!'

While he sang at the top of his lungs,
in his thick German accent,
he'd be playing his favorite instrument...
Gramma Groth did not particularly appreciate
the serenade because there was
usually Schnapp's behind the whole Gig.
Gramma told me she'd wrestle it out of Grampa's
ginormous hands (he was 6'5") and hide it in the
attic. Gramma was only about 5' tall, mind you.


I sure would have loved to see that!

 

Grampa's Button Box now resides at
Black Rooster Cottage
on our Mantle, along side a couple of
other things that have Family Love, Meaning
and Memories.

 

It is a beautiful piece and
I love the wear.






Next to Grampa's Button box,
 sit my Husband's Childhood
Cowboy Boots...



... and my Gambler's Lucky Shoe that rests
upon a sand-softened, piece of driftwood
we found at the beach on our last camping trip by the shore.




While we're on the subject of
(comma)
 here are a couple of pictures of
a very cool trunk we found (bought) during our last
trip to the Mountains.
{The whole trip home, I was hoping the
 spiders wouldn't crawl out and get us!}

 

They sure don't make things like they used to!
Leather, Canvas, Wood and Metal...







{I don't know why I didn't take a picture of the whole darn thing!}

We rearranged our front "formal" living room to
incorporate an amazing Rustique wood table
 we made from some old, old,
O-L-D wood.
{I'll tell you more about it next time}

We had it on the porch for a while but everyone
 that came to the door
commented on how they'd love to have it.

We'd like to keep it ~ so now it's inside. :)

I'll show 'ya around next time and talk about my Style.

Hugs and Love,
Amber

Leaving you with this great pic:


For my non-chicken friends, they are friendly and fun...
REALLY!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hi Amber
How precious that piece is with all of the love behind it. Love your style girly. The photos are amazing along with your style. Have a beautiful week!!

hugs
Kate

blossoms vintage chic said...

Oh my goodness Amber! I'm in love with your post...the memories, Gambler's lucky shoe, Grandpa's button box, and oh my the trunk!
Glad you and the spiders made it home safe!
See you soon sweet girl!
xoxo
Debbie

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

I love this post! Your pictures are great...just love how you capture things you treasure.
XO~